Discus is a powerful, free bulletin board system that allows the administrator total control over the look, feel, and content of the online board. It can be installed by filling out a short form in your Account Manager. The "Pro" version can be purchased to add even more advanced features such as auto registration, private topics, and more. To upgrade your Discus board to Pro, or to obtain purchase information, visit:
For a comparison of features between the free version and Pro, visit
Contact LexiConn after purchasing your Pro license to have your board installed in your account.
Instructions for installing Discus from your Account Manager:
Once logged in to your Account Manager, click the "Applications" button on the left hand menu bar. Next, click the "Forums" link, and then "Discus". From here, there are four basic settings you will need to fill in. Below is each setting and what it means:
1. Enter Name of Base Directory to be created in your www directory:
Whatever directory you enter here will be the directory in which your bulletin board is installed. For instance, if you named this directory discus then you would be able to find your bulletin board at http://www.your_domain.com/discus/
2. Enter Title of Discus Message Board:
This will be the title of the message board and will be displayed at the extreme top of the user's web browser (next to where it displays the browser name).
3. Enter Contact Name for Board Admin:
This is displayed along with your E-Mail address on the contact page so users can contact you with any questions, comments, or error reports.
4. Enter Contact Email Address for Board Admin:
This corresponds to the last option.
Once you are done filling out these fields, click "Submit" and you will be brought to a page which has a link that looks similar to this:
Write this link down and then click it, it will take you directly to the front of your bulletin board which will be empty.
It is time to do some basic and simple initial configurations. Here is a step-by-step walkthrough of how to do this:
1. Start by clicking the Administration link on the far right of the page.
2. From here you will have to set an admin password and register Discus. Do this by entering the username 'admin' (without the quote marks of course) in to the Username field and leave the password field blank.
3. Click the button that says Log In.
4. On the right side of the page, you will see a box that says "Set Administrator's Password" at the top, with some form fields under it asking you to choose a password. Type the password you want in the box next to where it says Choose Password:
5. Re-type the same password next to the box that says Verify Password:
6. Click the button that says Save Information.
7. You will then be brought to the Discus registration page. Most of the information required on this page should already be filled in for you, all you need to do is enter the name of your company in the box next to where it says Your Company:
9. Click the button that says Register Now!
10. You are ready to go back to the Admin section of Discus and begin configuring your board.